Calling Watermelon Lovers!
Did you know today, August 3rd, is National Watermelon Day!? It's the special day recognizing the juicy red summertime treat that is sure to please everyone, especially on hot Texas Summer Days.
Fun Watermelon facts:
- Watermelon is both a fruit and a vegetable: they are sweet in flavor which gives them their fruit classification but are also part of the gourd family which classifies them as a veggie! Who knew?
- You can eat the entire fruit -- yes folks, it's true! The seeds all the way down to the rinds are edible! The rinds are stir-fried or stewed in china and in the south they pickle the rind. The seeds are also roasted, similar to pumpkin seeds, perfect for a pick-me-up snack.
- Watermelons are 92% water, which makes them great for a hot day -- a great way to stay hydrated.
- Accoding to Guinness World Records, the largest watermelon ever grown was 268.8 pounds and grown in Arkansas. WOOZA!
- Did you know there is a sweetness scale to measure watermelons? YES and it's called the Brix Scale: Most are 9-10 on the Scale but very sweet watermelons measure 11-12!
- China grows more watermelons than any country in the entire world!
- Lastly, the myth that if you eat a watermelon seed it will grow in your belly is totally FALSE. The seeds are high in magnesium, zinc, and protein, so go ahead and chew them prior to swallowing.
For More Fun Watermelon Facts Click HERE
One of the best places in town to purchase fresh and juicy watermelons is The Farm Patch in Bryan. They feature fresh veggies, fruits, jams, plants, and so much more.
The Farm Patch is located at: 3519 South College Ave Bryan, TX 77801. Hours are Mon-Sat 9-7 PM and Sun 10-6 PM.
Get your Watermelon this weekend!